Morpheus8 or HIFU (with Ultraformer 3 device, for example)? Choosing the proper treatment for your needs is a challenging task. It requires good research that usually takes hours or days. But we got you! This comprehensive guide will help you compare both treatments and make an informed decision.
Remember, when deciding which treatment is better for you, you must consult a qualified cosmetologist who can assess your skin condition and recommend the best treatment plan.
To get a good idea of what treatment suits your preference, you must know how to compare them. Here’s a list of important criteria we’ll discuss in this guide:
- Skin penetration level
- Clinical trials
- Treatment awards
- Target age group
- Treatment areas
- Duration and number of sessions
- Side effects and downtime
#1 Morpheus8 and Ultraformer 3 similarities
Morpheus8 and Ultraformer 3 are both non-invasive or minimally invasive treatments that use energy-based technologies to tighten and lift the skin.
Here’s what they have in common:
- Non-surgical: They are non-surgical or minimally invasive, so they don’t require incisions or general anesthesia.
- Skin tightening: They use energy-based technologies to tighten and lift the skin, improving the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, and sagging skin.
- Collagen production: Both stimulate the production of collagen, a protein that helps keep the skin firm and elastic.
- Safe and effective: They are safe and effective for skin rejuvenation and lifting.
- Little to no downtime: Both require little to no downtime, and you can return to normal activities right after the treatment.
Morpheus8 uses radiofrequency (RF) energy delivered via microneedles to heat the skin’s deeper layers and stimulate collagen production. The microneedles penetrate the skin, producing RF energy directly to the target tissue. This creates controlled thermal damage in the deep layers of the skin, which triggers the body’s natural healing response and produces new collagen. As a result, the skin becomes tighter, firmer, and more youthful-looking over time.
On the other hand, HIFU uses ultrasound energy to deliver focused heat to the deepest layers of the skin (SMAS). This energy is delivered through high-frequency sound waves, which create small thermal zones in the target tissue. The heat causes tissue contraction and denaturation, leading to collagen remodeling and skin tightening.
The main difference between these two technologies is their energy type. Morpheus8 uses RF energy, while HIFU uses ultrasound energy.
#3 Skin penetration level
Morpheus8 and Ultraformer 3 (HIFU) target the deeper layers of the skin, including the SMAS layer. However, HIFU is generally considered more effective for targeting the SMAS layer directly. It delivers focused ultrasound energy that causes thermal coagulation and contraction of the SMAS layer.
Morpheus8, on the other hand, uses radiofrequency (RF) energy delivered via microneedles to heat the skin’s deeper layers and stimulate collagen production. While Morpheus8 does not explicitly target the SMAS layer, it can stimulate collagen production in the deeper layers of the skin, leading to some lifting and tightening.
Overall, both treatments can be effective for skin tightening and lifting, but the degree of improvement may vary depending on the individual’s unique anatomy and treatment goals.
Morpheus8 improves skin tone, texture, and tightness. The treatment addresses various skin concerns:
- fine lines;
- acne scars;
- uneven skin texture;
- mild to moderate skin laxity.
HIFU significantly improves skin tone and tightness, particularly in the lower face and neck. The treatment addresses the following skin problems:
- fine lines and wrinkles;
- sagging skin;
- loss of facial volume.
Both treatments contour and sculpt the face and body, providing a more youthful and rejuvenated appearance.
#5 Target age group
Morpheus8 can benefit individuals in their 20s to 60s and beyond. It is an effective treatment for anyone looking to improve skin texture and tone, reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, and restore a more youthful look to the skin. You can customize it to suit each of your specific needs and concerns, making it a versatile option for many different age groups.
Morpheus8 is also very effective for cellulite reduction and body skin tightening, so it can be applied to people of any age.
Ultraformer 3 (HIFU)
HIFU is primarily used for skin lifting, tightening, and contouring. It is most commonly used for patients in their 30s to 60s who are experiencing sagging skin and loss of elasticity in areas such as the face, neck, and chin. You can do the treatment also on other body areas, such as the abdomen, thighs, and buttocks, to tighten and firm the skin.
#6 Clinical trials
Clinical trials are research studies that are designed to evaluate the safety and effectiveness of new treatments or therapies. Here’s a brief overview of some of the clinical trials that have been conducted on Morpheus8 and HIFU:
Several clinical trials have been conducted on Morpheus8.
- Acne scar treatment – A study published in the Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology evaluated the safety and efficacy of Morpheus8 in treating atrophic acne scars in 30 patients. The study found that three sessions of Morpheus8 treatment resulted in a mean improvement of 60.8% in the overall appearance of acne scars, as assessed by a blinded evaluator.
Reference: Kim JY, Ahn HH, Kim MN, Kye YC. A Prospective, Split-Face, Randomized, Comparative Study of the Efficacy and Safety of Morpheus8 Alone versus a Combination of Morpheus8 and Subcision for the Treatment of Atrophic Acne Scars. J Cosmet Dermatol. 2020 Dec 21. doi: 10.1111/jocd.13869. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 33346906.
- Skin tightening – a study in the Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology evaluated the safety and effectiveness of Morpheus8 in 32 patients with mild to moderate facial wrinkles and laxity. The study found that a series of three Morpheus8 treatments resulted in a mean improvement of 41.2% in skin laxity and a mean improvement of 37.6% in skin texture, as measured by a blinded evaluator.
Reference: Na JI, Choi JW, Choi HR, Jeong JB, Park KC, You CE. Safety and efficacy of micro-focused ultrasound with visualization for the treatment of wrinkles and laxity of the lower face. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2020;83(1):94-101. doi:10.1016/j.jaad.2020.01.044
Several clinical trials have been conducted on HIFU.
- A 2020 study published in the Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology evaluated the efficacy and safety of Ultraformer 3 in 30 Arabic patients with facial laxity. The study found that a single Ultraformer 3 treatment resulted in an average improvement of 28.6% in skin tightening, with improvements lasting up to three months. The study also reported a high satisfaction rate among patients.
Reference: Alsuwaidan SN, AlHunayan A, Al-Enezi M. Evaluation of the efficacy and safety of micro-focused ultrasound with visualization for improving skin laxity and fine lines in Arabic patients. J Cosmet Dermatol. 2020;19(10):2586-2591. doi:10.1111/jocd.13209
- A 2021 study published in the Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology evaluated the efficacy and safety of Ultraformer 3 in 25 European patients with facial laxity. The study found that a single Ultraformer 3 treatment resulted in an average improvement of 23.9% in skin tightening, with improvements lasting up to six months. The study also reported a high satisfaction rate among patients.
Reference: Mulholland RS, Paul MD, Chalfoun C, Fitzgerald R. Safety and efficacy of a novel micro-focused ultrasound device for lifting and tightening facial and neck skin: a retrospective analysis in European patients. J Cosmet Dermatol. 2021;20(2):510-516. doi:10.1111/jocd.13834
#7 Treatment awards
- 2022 Best Skin-Tightening Microneedling Treatment
- 2021 Award for Product Innovation of the Year
- 2020 Aesthetic Industry Award for Best Skin Tightening Treatment
- 2019 MyFaceMyBody Award for Best Anti-Ageing Treatment
- 2019 Aesthetic Everything Award for Best Skin Tightening Device
- 2019 NewBeauty Award for Best Noninvasive Skin Tightener
- 2019 The Aesthetic Guide Award for Best RF Microneedling
- 2019 Hollywood Beauty Awards Award for Breakthrough Skincare Treatment
Ultraformer 3 (HIFU) awards:
- 2021 Aesthetic Industry Award for “Best Non-Surgical Skin Tightening Device”
- 2020 Aesthetic Industry Award for “Best Non-Surgical Skin Tightening Device”
- 2019 MyFaceMyBody Awards Asia for “Best Skin Tightening Treatment”
- 2018 Harper’s BAZAAR Beauty Awards for “Best Non-Invasive Face Lifting Treatment”
- 2017 Aesthetics Awards for “Best Anti-Ageing Treatment”
#8 Treatment areas
Both treatments address skin concerns in multiple areas of the face and body, including:
- Crow’s feet;
- Nasolabial folds;
- Double chin;
- Neck and décolletage;
However, HIFU is typically more effective for lifting and tightening sagging skin in the lower face and neck, while Morpheus8 can also address skin texture and fine lines all over the body.
#9 Duration and the number of sessions
You can see visible results for both treatments after several weeks or months because they stimulate collagen production and cellular turnover over time. However, Morpheus8 results are more gradual in time than HIFU.
Morpheus8 patients may require 1-3 treatment sessions spaced 4-6 weeks apart. Each session takes between 30 and 60 minutes to complete, depending on the treated area.
Patients may begin to see some improvement in their skin’s appearance within a few weeks of treatment, with optimal results typically visible within three to six months of treatment.
Ultraformer 3 (HIFU)
HIFU patients may require 1-2 treatment sessions spaced 4-6 months apart. Each session typically takes between 30 and 90 minutes to complete, depending on the treated area.
HIFU typically delivers more immediate results, with a single treatment often sufficient for noticeable improvements.
#10 Side effects and downtime
Both Morpheus8 and HIFU are generally safe, with minimal side effects. However, after treatment, some patients may experience redness, swelling, and mild discomfort. HIFU may also cause some temporary numbness or tingling in the treated area.
The good news is that you don’t need to take days off from work.
Prices for Morpheus8 and HIFU treatments can vary depending on the location, the specific provider, device brands, the number of sessions required, and other factors. We can only comment on our clinic’s prices. They are the following:
|Area||Morpheus8||Ultraformer 3 (HIFU)|
|Full face||AED 2,500||AED 2,500 (|
|Body area||AED 2,500-5,000||AED 5000|
Fact: You can combine Morpheus8 and HIFU
As you already see, both treatments work different layers of the skin and promote similar results. We recommend combining them into one therapy to accomplish even more dramatic results.
When combined, these treatments can synergize as they work on different layers of the skin to achieve overall skin tightening and rejuvenation. The Morpheus8 can work on the skin’s surface to improve texture, fine lines, and wrinkles, while HIFU can penetrate deeper into the skin to address sagging skin and more significant signs of aging.
Clinical trials show that combining Morpheus8 and HIFU is effective for skin rejuvenation. A 2020 study in the Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology treated 30 female patients with a combination of facial wrinkles and laxity, significantly improving skin laxity, wrinkles, and overall texture. Similarly, a 2019 study in the Journal of Clinical and Aesthetic Dermatology treated 20 female patients for neck laxity, significantly improving skin laxity and overall quality.
Morpheus8 and HIFU are effective non-invasive or minimally invasive aesthetic treatments, but they have different technologies and areas of application. Morpheus8 is primarily used for skin rejuvenation, while HIFU is used for lifting and contouring. The choice between the two will depend on your individual needs and preferences, as well as the recommendations of your therapist.
Book a consultation for your personalized treatment plan.