Dark lips are a significant aesthetic issue when it comes to self-esteem and overall confidence. Many are the factors that can lead to lip-darkening. Some of them are just triggered by genetics, but lifestyle choices begin others.
Today we will see together the causes of dark lips, how to treat this condition when home remedies don’t work and when to use them so you can have maximum results.
What causes lips to darken?
Let’s explore some of the reasons you might have lips darkening.
- Excess sun exposure.
- Alcohol abuse.
- Some drugs or medicines.
- Allergic reactions to lip balm, lipstick, toothpaste, and more.
- Drinking too much coffee.
- Melasma (hyperpigmentation).
- Sucking your lips.
Important: Many Asian nations are prone to dark lips. They must be extra cautious and take good care of their lips.
What to do when home remedies don’t work?
When home remedies don’t work, it means that your lips produce excessive amounts of hyperpigmentation. This becomes a medical issue, and professional treatment is your best option. Thankfully modern aesthetics have a safe and effective lip lightening therapy that inhibits melanin production, restores the cells, and repairs the damages.
There are two main ways to get pinky lips: by undergoing ablative or non-ablative treatment. Let’s see the difference.
- Ablative lips are lightening – The procedure destroys the top layer of the skin. This damage leads to increased production of new healthy cells and collagen. Lips form a new color, and a fresh coat replaces the damaged one. This treatment is powerful, so we recommend you do it once a month.
- Non-ablative lightening – This type of lip lightening also uses a laser, but it doesn’t destroy the skin. It penetrates deeply to destroy melanin. Since no damage is done, the treatment needs to be done for at least 4-6 sessions once a week.
Your dermatologist or certified aesthetician evaluates the type of lip lightening treatment. Please, always consult a professionalist.
How to maintain good results after lips lightening treatment?
This is the time to say that home remedies can help in maintaining good results after lips lightening. The reason is that these homemade solutions are less aggressive. So they are not as powerful as a medical treatment. Nonetheless, they can help you keep the results from a few sessions of lips lightening.
You can start with applying home remedies when your lips are completely healed, and the whole treatment is finished.
You would want to use only ingredients that are proven to inhibit melanin production. Se let’s see what you can do at home:
- Rosewater and honey – mix a few drops of rose water with honey and place them over your lips. Stay for 15 minutes and rinse with cool water. You can apply the mixture 3-4 times a day.
- Turmeric and milk – turmeric is a potent natural remedy. Mix 1 TBL spoon milk with enough turmeric powder to create a paste. Apply it over your lips and rinse after 15 minutes. You can do this once before bed.
- The juice of cucumber – blend half a cucumber, and with the help of a cotton pad, apply cucumber juice over your lips. Stay for 30 minutes and rinse. You can do this twice a day – morning and bedtime.
- Sugar and lemon – slice a piece of lemon and dip it in sugar. Rub your lips with the mix and go to bed. In the morning – rinse with cool water.
- Aloe Vera – apply aloe vera gel over your lips, and when it dries, rinse with cool water. You can do this twice a day – morning and evening time.
These homemade remedies will help you keep the results by nourishing, repairing, and hydrating your lips. Be patient since home remedies work slowly, and they are a better option for prevention. Be consistent and enjoy the benefits of having sexy pink lips.
Are you interested in having your lips lightened fast by medical treatment? Find out more about Laser Lips Lightening.
Book a FREE consultation and get the lips you’ve always wanted!