Hair fall and hair thinning is a very common issue around the world. 40% of all women suffer from hair loss before the age of 50. Men are not the only ones who suffer from balding.
Scalp Micropigmentation is a modern non-invasive treatment that can help any woman to get her hair looking fuller. It’s a treatment that uses special tattoo ink to draw hair follicles and thus fill the gaps on the scalp. To learn more about SMP and its technique please read here.
In this article we’ll see together why SMP is a great choice for every woman with hair loss and what to expect from the treatment.
Why do women like SMP and choose it?
Women love to get things done naturally with minimum downtime. SMP helps create more density of the hair by applying tiny ink dots which can last for years. It’s a perfect solution that:
- doesn’t require surgery;
- it’s not difficult to maintain;
- gives any woman a good boost of self-esteem.
Вижте тази публикация в Instagram.
Who is a good candidate for SMP?
SMP is a suitable treatment for any woman who suffers from a balding pattern no matter of its origin and cause. The best candidates for this treatment are woman with:
- Thinning hair on the front hairline;
- Balding hair path;
- Balding scalp spots.
Female hair baldness is different to the male balding patterns. Thus the technique of SMP slightly differs – we apply much more ink dots since we aim for fuller looking hair. In contrast – males need less tattoo dots so their scalp looks as if they’ve just shaved their hair.
View this post on Instagram
Most common questions about SMP
Does Microblading and SMP have anything in common?
No. Microblading is a different technique which is supposed to be applied only for eyebrows. Some women prefer to have lines on their scalp so SMP can look even more natural.
This is completely forbidden since Microblading uses blades to draw lines and it injures the scalp. This can lead to hair follicle injury and an increase of hair loss. Microblading is not recommended for scalp semi-permanent technique.
Are there any side effects?
No. SMP doesn’t cause any side effect that might affect your daily life or your scalp health.
How long will the results last?
Results are strictly individual. SMP usually lasts for up to 5 years with regular touch ups. Some women may experience shorter lasting results due to:
- Scalp mask application;
- Greasy scalp;
- Hair coloring solutions with ammonia.
For longer lasting results we recommend you to:
- Use hair masks only on your lengths
- Do treatments for hair growth which inject solutions into your scalp
- Use only hair coloring solution without ammonia or try henna
Does SMP look natural?
Yes. SMP looks natural and we have flexible coloring for all hair types. With time dots don’t become greenish or grayish as standard tattoo ink.
When we do SMP for women with long hair we create denser dots to imitate hair fullness. Your natural hair covers the ink and no one would notice that these dots are tattoo ink.
Does SMP hurt?
No. The treatment is less painful than regular tattoo and hair transplant. Most client feel no discomfort at all.
View this post on Instagram
How many sessions a woman needs for successful scalp micropigmentation?
Both women and men need the same amount of sessions – minimum 3. The whole therapy cycle consists of:
- Initial consultation – your first visit at the clinic is for evaluation and discussion. At this time our common goal is to communicate your needs, your expectations and your goals. We’ll recommend to you what’s best for you and we’ll explain everything you need to know about your SMP sessions.
- First session of SMP – this session helps us map your scalp, choose the most suitable ink color and draw the first draft.
- Second session – at this time we’ll know how fast your scalp absorbs the ink and we’ll go over all dots again so we make their color stronger. At this session we add even more detail.
- Third session – at this time 70% of the work is done. It’s time to get even more into detail and apply final dots. At this time you can give us more information about what you’d like to correct, add or strengthen.
The final result of SMP is teamwork – throughout all sessions you should be giving us detailed feedback about how you feel with your new look and how we can make results even better. On our behalf we’ll help you achieve your goals by executing the treatment as professional as possible and guide you with experienced recommendation.
Important: The best practice is to leave 1 week gap between your 1st and 2nd session, and 4 weeks gap between your 2nd and 3rd session.
How do women prepare for SMP?
The preparation is very simple. Before each session of SMP women should:
Wash their hair – this helps the scalp clear from greasiness and dirt. In this way SMP ink can penetrate and absorb easier.
Stop using scalp solutions before your session – no masks, creams, foams, hair fixations, sprays and etc.
Come as natural as you are. 🙂
Dos and Don’ts after each session of SMP
Although SMP is non-invasive and has minimal downtime, there are some general rules following each session. They’re designed to keep you away from inflammation, help your recover faster and keep the ink intact in between the sessions.
What to avoid after every SMP session and for how long?
Up to 24 hours:
- Keep away from touching your scalp – your tiny SMP wounds are open and they can get infected.
Up to 4 days:
No water over your scalp – you can shower your body, but don’t wash your head with water.
Up to 7 days:
- Avoid sweating – this includes working out, eating hot spices and exposing to excess heat;
- Keep away from water and artificial humidity – saunas, hot thumbs, hot showers and bathtubs, swimming, steam rooms;
- Don’t expose your head to direct sunlight – it may fade the tattoo ink. Use a hat, umbrella, scarf instead;
- Restrain from smoking and alcohol – they slow down your healing and may promote tattoo ink fading.
For the whole length of the therapy:
- Don’t use any hair growth stimulants over your scalp;
- Keep away from spray and lotions that you apply over your scalp.
What you can do after each session and when?
After 5 days:
- Start washing your head with water only.
After 7 days:
- Wash your hair with shampoo.
When you can go back to normal and enjoy saunas, steam rooms, sunlight, intense workouts? The answer is: When you finish all sessions and wait for 21 days after the last one. Then your scalp will heal completely and this will allow you to do all the things you love.
SMP Follow ups
Follow ups are very important for long lasting results. After your final session we recommend you to come back for follow ups once a year. This will help us track your SMP development and apply best practices or corrections in time.
On follow ups you’ll also share with us:
- how do you feel with your new looks;
- how life changed due to this new look;
- do people notice;
- does the treatment meets your expectations;
- is there anything we can do to;
- all the questions you’d like to ask.