Hair fall and hair thinning is a widespread issue around the world. 40% of all women suffer from hair loss before the age of 50. Men are not the only ones who suffer from balding.
Scalp Micropigmentation is a modern non-invasive treatment that can help any woman to get her hair looking fuller. It’s a treatment that uses special tattoo ink to draw hair follicles and thus fill the gaps on the scalp. To learn more about SMP and its technique, please read here.
In this article, we’ll see together why SMP is an excellent choice for every woman with hair loss and what to expect from the treatment.
Why do women like SMP and choose it?
Women love to get things done naturally with minimum downtime. SMP helps create more hair density by applying tiny ink dots, which can last for years. It’s a perfect solution that:
- doesn’t require surgery;
- it’s not difficult to maintain;
- gives any woman a good boost of self-esteem.
Вижте тази публикация в Instagram.
Who is a good candidate for SMP?
SMP is a suitable treatment for any woman who suffers from a balding pattern regardless of its origin and cause. The best candidates for this treatment are women with:
- Thinning hair on the front hairline;
- Balding hair path;
- Balding scalp spots.
Female hair baldness is different from male balding patterns. Thus the technique of SMP slightly differs – we apply much more ink dots since we aim for fuller-looking hair. In contrast – males need fewer tattoo dots, so their scalp looks like they’ve just shaved their hair.
View this post on Instagram
Most common questions about SMP
Do Microblading and SMP have anything in common?
No. Microblading is a different technique that is supposed to be applied only for eyebrows. Some women prefer to have lines on their scalp so SMP can look even more natural.
This is wholly forbidden since Microblading uses blades to draw lines, and it injures the scalp. This can lead to hair follicle injury and an increase in hair loss. Microblading is not recommended for scalp semi-permanent techniques.
Are there any side effects?
No. SMP doesn’t cause any side effects that might affect your daily life or scalp health.
How long will the results last?
Results are strictly individual. SMP usually lasts for up to 5 years with regular touch-ups. Some women may experience shorter lasting effects due to:
- Scalp mask application;
- Greasy scalp;
- Hair coloring solutions with ammonia.
For longer-lasting results, we recommend you to:
- Use hair masks only on your lengths
- Do treatments for hair growth that inject solutions into your scalp
- Use only hair coloring solution without ammonia or try henna
Does SMP look natural?
Yes. SMP looks natural, and we have flexible coloring for all hair types. With time dots don’t become greenish or grayish as standard tattoo ink.
When we do SMP for women with long hair, we create denser dots to imitate hair fullness. Your natural hair covers the ink, and no one would notice that these dots are tattoo ink.
Does SMP hurt?
No. The treatment is less painful than a regular tattoo and hair transplants. Most clients feel no discomfort at all.
View this post on Instagram
How many sessions does a woman need for successful scalp micropigmentation?
Both women and men need the same amount of sessions – a minimum of 3. The whole therapy cycle consists of:
- Initial consultation – your first visit to the clinic is for evaluation and discussion. At this time, our shared goal is to communicate your needs, expectations, and goals. We’ll recommend what’s best for you, and we’ll explain everything you need to know about your SMP sessions.
- The first SMP session helps us map your scalp, choose the most suitable ink color, and draw the first draft.
- The second session – at this time, we’ll know how fast your scalp absorbs the ink, and we’ll go over all dots again, so we make their color stronger. At this session, we add even more detail.
- The third session – at this time, 70% of the work is done. It’s time to get even more into detail and apply the final dots. At this time, you can give us more information about what you’d like to correct, add or strengthen.
The final result of SMP is teamwork – throughout all sessions, you should be giving us detailed feedback about how you feel with your new look and how we can make results even better. On our behalf, we’ll help you achieve your goals by executing the treatment as professionally as possible and guide you with the experienced recommendation.
Important: The best practice is to leave one week gap between your 1st and 2nd session and four weeks gap between your 2nd and 3rd session.
How do women prepare for SMP?
The preparation is effortless. Before each session of SMP, women should:
Wash their hair – this helps the scalp clear from greasiness and dirt. In this way, SMP ink can penetrate and absorb easier.
Stop using scalp solutions before your session – no masks, creams, foams, hair fixations, sprays, etc.
Come as natural as you are. 🙂
Dos and Don’ts after each session of SMP
Although SMP is non-invasive and has minimal downtime, there are some general rules following each session. They’re designed to keep you away from inflammation, help you recover faster, and keep the ink intact between the sessions.
What to avoid after every SMP session, and for how long?
Up to 24 hours:
- Keep away from touching your scalp – your tiny SMP wounds are open, and they can get infected.
Up to 4 days:
No water over your scalp – you can shower your body, but don’t wash your head with water.
Up to 7 days:
- Avoid sweating – this includes working out, eating hot spices, and exposing to excess heat;
- Keep away from water and artificial humidity – saunas, hot thumbs, hot showers and bathtubs, swimming, steam rooms;
- Don’t expose your head to direct sunlight – it may fade the tattoo ink. Use a hat, umbrella, scarf instead;
- Restrain from smoking and alcohol – they slow down your healing and may promote tattoo ink fading.
For the whole length of the therapy:
- Don’t use any hair growth stimulants over your scalp;
- Keep away from the spray and lotions that you apply over your scalp.
What can you do after each session, and when?
After five days:
- Start washing your head with water only.
After seven days:
- Wash your hair with shampoo.
When can you go back to normal and enjoy saunas, steam rooms, sunlight, intense workouts? The answer is: When you finish all sessions and wait for 21 days after the last one. Then your scalp will heal entirely, and this will allow you to do all the things you love.
Follow-ups are essential for long-lasting results. After your final session, we recommend you to come back for follow-ups once a year. This will help us track your SMP development and apply best practices or corrections in time.
On follow-ups you’ll also share with us:
- how do you feel about your new looks;
- how life changed due to this new look;
- do people notice;
- does the treatment meets your expectations;
- is there anything we can do to;
- all the questions you’d like to ask.